Archive | Tech TipsRSS feed for this section
Yesterday we told how to de-grime your computer and get the outside clean, but chances are it could use some virtual cleaning as well. We have gathered some best practices from across the web to help you get (or regain) control and stay in control over your files and your information (and probably even save you some hard drive space, to boot!)
If your screen is smudgy (no, that’s not a bad pixel—it’s piece of dirt), your mouse is misbehaving, and your keyboard has enough crumbs in it to make a decent snack, odds are that your computer could use some love. We’ve gathered all the information you need to get your computer in shipshape, going from the outside in.
Tax fraud is a hot topic in the news and for good reason—tax scams and tax identity theft continue to rise. We've gathered advice from top experts so you can arm yourself with knowledge and stay safe this tax season.
Even the most open and sharing person probably has a few details about themselves they’d like to keep private. That’s why Data Privacy Day is so important—it may not seem like a thrilling holiday, but staying in control over your personal information falls onto a short list of priceless gifts. And, it’s a gift you can give yourself with just a few simple steps.
Our Remote PC Support team has been fielding lots of calls from customers asking what is known as “scareware.” Designed to scare you into action, these real-looking popup windows “warn” you about security vulnerabilities and urge you to call a 1-800 number for help. The thing is, it’s a scam—these popups (see above and below) are NOT from TDS.
With email servers and security being talked about in the media (ad nauseam), you might feel like email can’t entirely be trusted. But is that perception based in reality?
It's Cyber Monday, the day we all head online looking for bargains. Although you may be hoping to catch a good deal, cyber criminals are hoping to catch something even more valuable—your information. Get six tips for shopping online safely today, and all season long.
The spaghetti-like tangle of disorganized cords behind your TV or under your desk could be scarier than your Halloween decorations. Tame that frightening mess with these easy ideas to hide, label, control, or store your cords.
Thanksgiving is fast approaching—and so is the unofficial kick-off to the holiday shopping season. Stores are preparing for the onslaught of traffic and so are criminals. Look out for two new phishing scams and follow five best practices to keep your personal information safe.
New research by the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) reveals we feel a lot more cyber safe than we actually are. In fact, last year, one in five American homes were notified of a data breach (with half of those receiving more than one!)…but yet 79 percent still feel safe! How can you close the gap between how safe you feel and how safe you really are? We've got some easy things you can do.
- TDS Telecom to improve broadband in Craig County, Va. May 23, 2017
- Cheap Tunes Tuesday May 23, 2017
- THREE Sun Prairie neighborhoods already made goal! May 22, 2017
- Weekly tech news roundup May 19, 2017
- Alert: Caller ID spoofing still a popular scam May 18, 2017
- Changes to TDS email: more details November 20, 2014
- New TDS email: how to change spam settings November 26, 2014
- What’s The Hold-Up? – Combating Slow Internet Speeds August 1, 2013
- TDS Fiber: how we’re building in your neighborhood June 11, 2015
- Six ways to manage your email account January 24, 2015
- Cheryl McCollum: Judith, Yes, Cherokee County is on our list of pla...
- Judith Lay: Cherokee County, Alabama could certainly use some ...
- Erik Riedasch: Nice review. I have been hearing a lot about this...
- Cheap Tunes Tuesday | TDS Home: […] friend told me about them after seeing t...
- Missy Kellor: Joanne, take a look at the very top of the column ...
$5 Amazon albums Amazon $5 albums American Idol Black Sails Bones cheap music cheap tunes crafts Dancing with the Stars Dr. Who dvr fcc f secure Game of Thrones good $5 albums good cheap music Gotham home decor Homeland House of Cards Internet Longmire mothers day Mr. Robot online shopping Outlander phishing Pinterest recipe recipes Safety Saturday Night Live savvy spending seen on pinterest Sleepy Hollow TDS TDS charity TDS TV TDS TV everywhere tech news The Flash travel tv testers twitter Walking Dead
- Austin Krueger (RSS) (136)
- Barclay Pollak (RSS) (19)
- Beau Eastes (RSS) (18)
- Ben Salmon (RSS) (13)
- Cheryl McCollum (RSS) (6)
- Cindy Tomlinson (RSS) (24)
- DeAnne Boegli (RSS) (24)
- Eric Lohrentz (RSS) (2)
- Guest Blogger (RSS) (182)
- Jason Compton (RSS) (4)
- Kris Schulz (RSS) (14)
- Krista Ledbetter (RSS) (8)
- Matthew Breen (RSS) (89)
- McLean Robbins (RSS) (74)
- Missy Kellor (RSS) (276)
- Pete Watson (RSS) (1)
- TDS Official (RSS) (1)
- TDS Security Team (RSS) (26)
- TVTesters (RSS) (31)