Archive | SecurityRSS feed for this section
You have probably heard the term Virtual Private Network—or VPN. But what exactly is a VPN? And is it something you need for your home? We'll help you understand whether a VPN can help you and if it’s something you should consider using.
The Better Business Bureau is warning consumers about a new kind of tech support scam. Typically these kinds of cons involve a phony representative helping you “fix” a fake computer problem for a fee. Now scammers are trying a new approach by offering you a refund instead—but there’s a catch (of course).
Each phishing attempt can look different from another. Some may include a link, others may have a malicious attachment, and another may simply ask you to reply. With the huge variety of methods out there, are you really sure you can spot a phish? Test your spotting skills by looking at six different emails we’ve received over the years.
If you’ve been asked to pay for something with a gift card, please note this is a scam. The scenario generally involves callers claiming to be from a Tech Support company, the IRS, a so-called family member or a friend-of-a-friend. The caller demands the gift card numbers and PIN.
Has one of your Facebook friends or family members ever sent you a private message requesting money or your social security member? If you’ve gotten one, well, chances are, he/she is likely not really your friend or relative.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is asking more than 500,000 Americans to reboot their routers. This is because hackers infected consumer-level routers used in homes and small offices with malware. The incident is believed to be a Russian military-related hacking and has affected half a million routers and storage devices in 54 countries, including the United States.
Even public safety officials are being used as a front for scam artists. Scammers are spoofing the emergency number 911 in hopes they can scare you into sharing personal information. We are taught 911 is there to help us, which is why the scam works. Find out what to watch for.
Bad news, consumers—there’s a new chip-based security vulnerability you need to watch out for. Called “Variant 4,” it doesn’t seem this exploit used in the wild…yet. However, now that it’s out in the open, it’s entirely possible hackers will be working overtime to give it a try. Find out what you can do to stay safe.
In many ways, the internet has made searching for a new job easier than ever, but it has also made the process more dangerous. Scammers troll the internet in search of easy victims they can target with job scams. Find out what red flags you should watch out for as you search for new opportunities.
The social media platform revealed last week that a bug in the systems left all Twitter passwords exposed in an internal log. Beyond changing your password, Twitter has additional advice for you—tips that really apply in every data breach situation.
TDS Connect Blog
Learn more about how TDS can keep you connected in the home with Internet, TV, TDS Fiber, DVR and phone services and solutions.
- Virtual Private Network (VPN): What is it? How can it help me? July 13, 2018
- Cheap Tunes Tuesday: John Mellencamp July 10, 2018
- A Quiet Place, Rampage, and Isle of Dogs coming to TDS TV on Demand July 9, 2018
- Summer art fun for kids in Madison, Wis. July 5, 2018
- Cheap Tunes Tuesday: Sam Smith July 3, 2018
- Changes to TDS email: more details November 20, 2014
- New TDS email: how to change spam settings November 26, 2014
- What’s The Hold-Up? – Combating Slow Internet Speeds August 1, 2013
- TDS Fiber: how we’re building in your neighborhood June 11, 2015
- Six ways to manage your email account January 24, 2015
- Missy Kellor: In this case it wasn't us—we're not working in...
- Eric: Someone was running aerial fiber throughout Monona...
- Austin: Thanks for the comment! 100% agree with you - they...
- Lea: Great article! I love The Cars :) So many great ...
- Missy Kellor: Bob, hang in there. We've heard similar from othe...
$5 Amazon albums Amazon Amazon $5 albums American Idol Black Sails Bones cheap music cheap tunes Dancing with the Stars Facebook f secure Game of Thrones good $5 albums good cheap music Google home decor Internet Kickstarter Longmire Madison Mallards Mr. Robot online shopping Outlander phishing Pinterest recipe recipes Safety Saturday Night Live savvy spending security seen on pinterest TDS TDS charity TDS Fiber TDS TV TDS TV everywhere tech news The Flash travel TV tv testers twitter volunteer Walking Dead