July is just days away—that means it’s time to plan a barbeque, grab some sparklers, turn up the air conditioning, and watch some Christmas movies!
Just like stores have Christmas in July sales, Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries are getting into the action. They’re showing more than a hundred holiday movies in the middle of summer (buzzkill: Christmas is only 180 days away!).
Each channel is showing Christmas movies for a so-called week (although technically it’s more like two weeks). Read on to find out which channel is playing what.
June 29-July 15: Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Gold Crown Christmas Week
Starting June 29, you’ll find at least three movies every weekday evening, and at least 10 every weekend day. In fact, by my count, there are 57 different movies you can watch!
As an admitted Hallmark movie addict (you can find my confession here), I have to say I’ve seen the majority of the movies on the schedule. As such, here are some of the movies from 2017 I recommend watching:
- Rocky Mountain Christmas with the charming Lindy Booth.
- Christmas Encore. I liked the set-up and the leads had a nice chemistry, I thought.
- Magical Christmas Ornaments. It’s a total shameless plug for Hallmark ornaments, and I expected to hate it, but I found myself charmed.
- If you like country music and/or Becca Tobin (of Glee fame), be sure to check out A Song For Christmas even though I found it to be extra predictable (which yes, for a Hallmark movie, is saying something).
I missed Romance at Reindeer Lodge last year, so I plan on setting the DVR so I can watch it now.
July 13-July 26: Hallmark Channel Christmas Keepsake Week
Staring on July 13 and ending July 22nd, Hallmark Channel promises to play your holiday favorites. Here’s the schedule and it includes lots of movies from last year’s Countdown to Christmas.
Of last year’s Countdown movies, some of my favorites are:
- Marry Me at Christmas. Totally predictable and yet the stars made it work. One of my favs of last year’s batch of movies.
- The Sweetest Christmas. Two words: Lacey Chabert.
- Coming Home for Christmas. Not a princess movie, and yet was a princess movie (and because Danica McKellar).
- With Love, Christmas. The office mystery Santa angle was fresh and I thought it worked.
- And last but not least, Christmas Next Door. Almost too cute, but the cast pulled it off.
I am hoping to watch Christmas Getaway is on which I missed, and also maybe Christmas Connection. Full disclosure: I could not bring myself to watch Switched for Christmas last year, and I don’t see that changing—but it’ll be on if you’re interested.
Reminder: Don’t forget to print off some Christmas Movie Bingo cards to have some extra fun!
What’s coming this fall
Hallmark’s kicking off Christmas programming for 2018 on October 26. Look for 22 new Countdown to Christmas movies on Hallmark Channel and 12 new Miracles of Christmas movies on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.
When does it end! I don’t want to watch Christmas in July! When does your regular programming come back?
Cheryl, according to their info it should end on July 28 (just one more week!). In good news, starting that day they’ll be kicking off their Summer Nights programming. They’ll be showing five new movies the first being “Love On Safari” with Lacy Chabert which will air that night at 8c.
Will the Middle be back on again?
That I don’t know. Their online schedule says it will be on July 30 at 9pm central time and appears to be showing for every night that week. Hopefully that’s its new regular time slot.
I love watching your Christmas in July programming. For me Christmas has always been the best part of my whole year. I really enjoyed a movie I had not seen before called Miss Christmas. I can’t wait for Oct 26 th to start your Christmas programming.
Miss Christmas is really cute! This weekend I caught Enchanted Christmas—one I missed last year (and it was also good). This fall there will be 22 new movies on the Hallmark Channel and 14 (I think, anyway) on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries–it’s going to be pretty epic for us Hallmark lovers.
I personally love the older Christmas movies. Back in the beginning. 2012 Thur 2016. One ” the most wonderful time of the year ” love, love love it ! Thank you.
Me too!! And don’t miss the new one they’re showing this Saturday, if I’m not mistaken.