Heading on a big European adventure? Or trying to squeeze in a last-minute vacation before the school year takes over? No matter where you’re going, use your smartphone to your advantage. Travel apps can help keep your itinerary in check and your trip on track.
Check out some reliable apps for national and international travel:
- GasBuddy – Never pay full price at the pump again. With Gas Buddy, you can find and activate exclusive Deal Alerts in the app to save up to 25 cents per gallon. Simply link your bank account, swipe, and discounts are automatically applied. You can also find the best places to stop using the gas map and sort by price, location, and station amenities.
- National Park Trail Guide – Here’s your comprehensive guide to trail data and hike descriptions for your favorite National Parks. Search for hikes using the map or select from a list curated by the hiking community. If you’re traveling with kids, check out the expert-selected list of Family Friendly Hikes. You can always track your position on the satellite map, all without cell signal thanks to a built-in GPS!
- PackPoint – Upgrade from pen-and-paper and create a fully customizable packing list. Answer a few questions about your trip and PackPoint will do the work for you, including recommendations based on weather forecasts, activities, even access to laundry. Edit your personal template and cross things off as you go.
- Cheapflights – The Cheapflights app helps you search, compare, and book cheap flights across hundreds of airlines globally. Save deals to your Watchlist to track prices before you book and organize all your travel plans in one place with Trips. You can even plan out the cheapest days to fly with the Price Calendar and Chart Views.
- Tripadvisor – Look no further for the best places to eat and drink! Search a specific destination or find the top restaurants nearby using Tripadvisor. You can even filter by price, cuisine, or dietary restrictions to find the best place for your travels. Upload pictures and leave a review to help other travelers make the best choice.
- My Currency Converter & Rates – Supporting over 150 currencies around the globe, My Currency Converter is perfect for travel. Your chosen currency converts as you type, and exchange rates are updated automatically for your convenience. This app is also one of the first converters to support BitCoin, LiteCoin, and Dogecoin!
- Google Translate – Battling a language barrier? Download the Google Translate app and translate up to 133 languages in a pinch. Use the text box or handwriting tool to write out sentences and phrases or use the conversation feature to translate on the fly. The most useful feature is the instant camera translation, where you can point your camera at any sign, menu, or item and receive a direct translation. Be sure to star and save common words and phrases for future reference.
- Hostelworld – The Hostelworld app is a great resource if you’re looking for budget-friendly accommodations. Filter by location, price, room type, or facilities and search from over 16,500 hostels in 180 countries. Depending on your budget and travel style, you can book private rooms or shared dorm rooms to meet other travelers.
- GetYourGuide – Find all your destination’s attractions in one place. GetYourGuide is the best travel app for tours and activities from skip-the-line tickets at must-see attractions to unique experiences and top-rated excursions. 24/7 customer service and flexible cancellation can help keep you on track if plans change.
- TripIt – Save yourself from combing through your inbox for reservation details with TripIt. As soon as you book a flight, hotel, or rental car, forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org and they’ll automatically add it to your comprehensive itinerary. Synch your travel plans to your calendar and upload passports and boarding passes to track everything in one place.
By Celia Reid, TDS Communications Intern