It’s a question for the ages—what internet speed do you need?
Just like Goldilocks, you’re looking for the one that fits juussssssstttt right. After all, you wouldn’t buy a 1-ton pickup to haul a single bag of groceries. On the other hand, you also don’t want a compact sedan to bring home a couch.
The tricky part is, what you haul on the internet is not quite as obvious as that mattress you bought at Costco—but that doesn’t mean you can’t figure it out.
Stop and consider how many people are using the internet, how many devices are connected, and what you’re doing online. To get you thinking, we created a quick five-question quiz.
How many people are in your household?
- One or two.
- Me, the spouse, and our 2.5 kids.
- Can you repeat the question a little louder? I’ve got a full house over here!
Tell us about the connected devices in your home…
- There aren’t too many. Just a couple of TVs and a computer.
- There’s quite a few. Besides the TVs and computer, we have tablets, smartphones, and a gaming system.
- Almost too many to count. There’s the TVs, iPads, smartphones, computers, a home security system, a connected thermostat, an Xbox, and we have an eye on one of those smart fridges.
How much time do the people in your household spend watching screens every day (gaming, video, etc.)?
- On an average day, maybe an hour or two. There might be one person playing a game online and/or streaming a TV show.
- Probably 6-10 hours a day between all of us. Homework, gaming, Snapchatting, binge-watching shows really adds up!
- Please don’t make me say it out loud! Everyone is doing their own thing—gaming, streaming, watching TV—all at the same time. Heck, sometimes we’ll each have two screens going at once.
Tell us about how you share your videos and photos…
- I’ve never met an email program I didn’t like. That’s how I send pictures of the kids (or my latest vacation) to friends and family.
- I’m all about using the cloud. I’m often adding pictures and videos to services like Dropbox/iCloud/Amazon. I don’t want to miss documenting a moment!
- I use the cloud for photos, but I also make my own videos and share on my YouTube channel (Have you seen my latest? Please subscribe!).
How do you stream?
- Stream? What stream? Like the creek that’s in my backyard?
- Standard definition or, if I’m feeling fancy, HD works for me.
- 4K all the way, baby—I like to take advantage of my 4K TV’s full capability and watch everything in Ultra HD.
Give yourself 1 point for every #1 answer you chose, 2 points for each #2, and 3 points for #3 answer.
- If your score is 5-8: you need Extreme300. With symmetrical download/upload speeds and no data caps, you can do everything you want, plus more, all at the same time!
- If your score is 9-12: you need Extreme600. With max download speeds of 600Mbps and upload speeds of 400Mbps and no data caps, everyone in your house will enjoy super-fast performance.
- If your score is 12-15: 1Gig fiber internet. With 1Gbps download and 400Mbps upload speeds, and no data caps, your household—and every gadget in it—can take full advantage of the fastest speeds we offer today!
Visit TDSFiber.com to sign up today!
Original publish date: 7/12/2017